Opened as a
civilian airport with grass landing area in March 1937,
Jersey airport was taken over by the Admiralty early in
March 1940 for use as a Naval Air Station, the accounts for
naval personnel were borne on the books of 'KESTREL' at R.N.A.S. Worthy Down.
RN use of the airfield
training squadrons arrived on March 11th from. Worthy Down
to take up residence, No.s 755 Telegraphist Air Gunner
Training Squadron with a collection of Proctor, Osprey and
Shark aircraft, and 763 squadron which was Torpedo, Spotter,
Reconnaissance Pool No.1 with Albacores and Swordfish.
Torpedo, Spotter, Reconnaissance Squadron flew in from
R.A.F. Bircham Newton on May21st for one weeks operations
with their 12 Albacores, they returned to Bircham Newton on
time German advances into France resulted in the British
government deciding that the Channel Islands were not
defendable and the new Fleet Air Arm facilities were to be
withdrawn back to the mainland. 755 squadron departed for
R.N.A.S. Worthy Down and 763 squadron for R.N.A.S.
Lee-on-Solent on May31st, the R N Air Station was paid off
on the same day.
Fleet Air Arm squadron was to briefly operate out of Jersey
airport; the 9 Swordfish of 816 Torpedo, Bomber,
Reconnaissance Squadron flew in from R.N.A.S. Ford on June
4th for one weeks operations, staying until the 11th.
July 1st 1940 German forces landed on Jersey and occupied
Click here for a list of
Admiralty Fleet Orders:
Confidential Admiralty Fleet Orders: