The first HMS SLINGER
Built as a hopper barge by Lobnitz & Co; Shipbuilders the vessel was commandeered by the Admiralty and converted to conduct aircraft launching trials of a new compressed air catapult system. The ship is known to have conducted trials with the Short 310 and Fairey F.127 Sea planes in April 1918.
The catapult in action
Compiled by Tony Drury
©2005-2010 John Lawson & Tony Drury
These pages are hosted and maintained by Tony Drury, Editor, the Royal Navy Research Archive