Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Father's WW2 Navy group photos between 1942 and 1946  (Read 2852 times)

Philip L

• Able Rate
Father's WW2 Navy group photos between 1942 and 1946
« on: 28 September 2023 10:23:07 am »

My father, Norman Lock (1924 - 2021) was in the British Royal Navy in WW2 (1942 - 1946). He had kept some WW2 group photos. There is nothing on the back of them to say exactly where and when they were taken. But the service records of ships served on, for Norman, indicates the photos are likely to be in regard to either, HMCS Chilliwack between October 1942 and June 1943 or HMS Findhorn between July 1943 and 1946. The other photo is of Norman in East Africa.

Philip L

Philip L

• Able Rate
Re: Father's WW2 Navy group photos between 1942 and 1946
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:48:26 pm »

Just putting all of my father's (Norman Lock) WW2 Navy group photos in one location for better reference.

My father was in the Portsmouth division of Royal Navy in WW2. I guess that the group photo in which there appears to be over 100 Navy personal was taken at Portsmouth, England. But I do not know (why it is a mystery). 

The Class of 207 photo which is faded has a list of names on the rear of the photo. Class members may have put their names on each other's photos. Norman is sixth from your left in the rear row as you look at the photo. I have not been able to put names to faces otherwise (why it is a mystery).

The better-quality Class of 207 photo appears to have been taken at all most the same time as the faded one. It looks like one young sailor has blinked his eye in this one, about the only difference I can see.

Philip L 
Pages: [1]   Go Up