Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Captain John Edward STOKES  (Read 10883 times)

longsc

• New Recruit
Captain John Edward STOKES
« on: 04 April 2022 03:08:37 pm »

Despite extensive research via the National Archives at Kew, I have been unable to find what I'm looking for and I'm wondering whether anyone within this Forum might be able to assist me or advise who else I  might be able to contact.

I'm very fortunate to have inherited 3 campaign medals relating to John Edward Stokes, awarded during service in the Royal Navy. The medals I have are his Baltic Medal 1854, Second China Medal 1857-60, Crimea Medal 1854 and Turkish Crimea.

Although I have his full service records and copy ships logs, as well as reports he wrote as captain, I have been searching without success for any photos of him, so that I can display proudly with his medals.

I appreciate that I'm unlikely to find any photos of him during the service periods during when he won the above medals but I'm wondering whether any photos of J E Stokes might exist during his later career as Captain. I'm guessing these are more likely to be from the period when he was captain of the Ironclad Ram HMS Hotspur from December 1890 to May 1893 or possibly for the maiden commissioning voyage of HMS Victoria in March 1890 when J E Stokes took the ship to the Mediterranean. As this was its maiden voyage I wonder whether there might be any publicity or commemorative photos, particularly since HMS Victoria was the largest, fastest and most powerful ironclad afloat at the time. It was surely a prestigious event and at the time this would have been a great Honour for J E Stokes to be at the helm.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Pages: [1]   Go Up