Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kenneth Edward Lukes  (Read 2691 times)

garrettprestage

• New Recruit
Kenneth Edward Lukes
« on: 31 December 2023 08:47:04 pm »

I am trying to find information about my stepfather’s service during WW2. His name was Kenneth Edward Lukes and he served aboard the HMS Lewes. The Lewes was scuttled off Sydney in 1946, but before that happened, my stepfather left the ship (in Adelaide I think), and was reported as having absconded. Unfortunately, he changed his name sometime thereafter, to Patrick Edward O’Toole, which has made it difficult to identify him properly, and even more difficult to establish any bone fides for accessing his records. We only know this much due to some newspaper records from the time.

Any advice on how to find his service records would be much appreciated.

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
Re: Kenneth Edward Lukes
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2024 09:55:23 am »

For obtaining service records, see elsewhere on this website

https://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/Records_page.htm

garrettprestage

• New Recruit
Re: Kenneth Edward Lukes
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2024 04:56:47 pm »

Thanks for this. I have attempted this in the past, but as my stepfather changed his name (unofficially), and thereby disconnected both himself and his subsequent family from his own past, it has been virtually impossible to establish next of kin bona fides, even for his children, my (half) siblings. Plus, we cannot find any information that verifies that a service record even exists in his (original) name, or provides us with his service number. Is there not an index somewhere that at least provides names (and, hopefully, service numbers)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up