Personnel > Royal Navy

Arthur Cook(e) Cowburn HMS Coquette & King Edward VII

(1/3) > >>

scotchbeefies:
Hi everyone - I am new to the forum and am trying to find out about my deceased uncle above who was on HMS Coquette and HMS King Edward VII in WW1.

I have 2 photos of him and he appears to have propellers on his left arm and one chevron on his right arm when he was on the King Edward VII.

Can anyone tell me:

What these mean?
How I can find him and his service number?

Many thanks for helping me - if you can xx

Joyce (scotchbeefies)

PhiloNauticus:

He was a stoker (the screw propeller on his right arm); the chevron is a Good Conduct Badge - one awarded for every four years service

Go to the national archives site, where you may search for his records - you don't need his service number, but will need his name, and ideally place of birth and the years he served (Coquette was in service 1897-1916. KE VII 1903-16).

See:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/royal-naval-seamen.htm

If you do find him, then you can ask for a copy of his service record, which will show where and when he served.
If you are successful, then come back, and I am sure someone will help clarifying the record

scotchbeefies:
Hi Phil,

Many thanks for your very helpful reply :)  I think I have found him!

Name Cowburn, Arthur Official Number: 310089 Place of Birth: Sheffield, Yorkshire 28-02-1888
Admiralty: Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services. General series to 1907. Name Cowburn, Arthur Official Number: 310089 Place of Birth: Sheffield, Yorkshire 28-02-1888.

Collection: Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodiesDate range: 01 January 1906 - 31 December 1906 Reference:ADM 188/507/89Subjects:Armed Forces (General), Navy

I have attached his record and if anyone can tell me anything about his ships - where he saw active service - what happened when or anything else of interest about him and/or his record, I would be really grateful.

In fact I can't tell you how grateful I am to you for actually helping me to find him! :D :D

Joyce

scotchbeefies:
I forgot to attach his record Doh!

Here it is - sorry

scotchbeefies:
I note it does not say he was on the Coquette. What do you think the reason might be that the ship was missed off?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version