Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post war Landing Craft - Portland Harbour Landing Craft Wreck  (Read 18806 times)

Becky9

• New Recruit
Post war Landing Craft - Portland Harbour Landing Craft Wreck
« on: 25 February 2014 11:08:45 am »

Can anyone help?

The last few days I've been diving on the Landing Craft wreck on the breakwater in Portland Harbour.

I've been looking for photographic references to try and identify this unappreciated wreck. Despite the many people that dive on it, very few seem to have any idea to its identity.

I've scoured the net looking for photos, there is a school of thought that says its a world war 2 wreck, but I'm not convinced of that - there are plenty of photographs of world war 2 ones and nothing matches that I can see. People also suggests its a Mk9 LCU, its clearly not, but others have said its a Mk8.  My biggest question is this - did pre Mk9 LCU/LCM exist? Where can I find photo references for these? Just a bit of info about the wreck itself.... Its upright, mostly intact, wheelhouse roof is missing, its around 27m long, 6m wide. It has two engine bays (2 x diesels?) behind the wheelhouse, both the covers for these engine bays sit in the cargo area. The cargo area itself seems to extend under the wheelhouse a small way with no apparant doors or bulkheads.

Becky9

• New Recruit
Re: Post war Landing Craft - Portland Harbour Landing Craft Wreck
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2014 05:01:47 pm »

Responding to my own post.  I'm 99.9% certain the wreck is of one of the Mk9 Prototypes. Two were made which have different pennant numbers to the production variant (pennants L700-L711) . These two prototypes were L3507 and L3508.  L3507 is sitting mostly intact at the bottom of Portland Harbour.

colinj

• New Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2021 04:54:28 pm »

Becky, I hope you may still be lurking on this forum even after so long? I came across your post whilst researching the LCT at Portland for my dive blog and turned up a film in the imperial war museum,  www.iwmcollections.org.uk I hope you enjoy it as it shows the LC you were interested in:

Film Number BFM 537

The film is sea trials for LCM (9) Prototype Trials at Instow 1963-1964 

Becky9

• New Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2022 04:35:08 pm »

Very much belated reply.

Thanks Colin, I found that the IWM had that particular film in the achives and paid to have it converted to video. They did have some others showing the prototypes during testing but as they werent the sole focus of the films, I chose just to have this one converted.

x
Pages: [1]   Go Up