Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you identify this uniform/badge  (Read 3923 times)

BristolPete2

• New Recruit
Can you identify this uniform/badge
« on: 16 October 2023 07:29:57 pm »

I am going through the photos of my mother-in-law and came across this photo. I wondered if anyone might be able to identify the uniform or the cap badge for me. We know there were relatives with a link to the British Navy, but also to the Merchant Navy. I don't know how to tell the badges apart.

BristolPete2

• New Recruit
Re: Can you identify this uniform/badge
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2023 06:46:45 am »

I've improved the quality of the scan.

Philip L

• Able Rate
Re: Similar cap badge in diagram 53 may give a clue
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2023 09:26:13 am »

A similar looking (But different) cap badge in diagram 53 on page 28 from Manual of Seamanship 1937 (Printed 1941. Refer to Books) may give a clue to what the cap badge is. The Chief Petty Officers cap badge in diagram 53 looks similar to me. The leaves on the branches (If that's what they are) look a different size to me. To me (As a non expert with limited knowledge on  the subject) this may suggest that it is Petty Officers cap badge from a different point in history, may be before 1937 or after 1947. Or may it is from the Merchant Navy. Only a guess really.

Philip L

Philip L

• Able Rate
Re: Cap badge question back in 2018 may assist with identification.
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2023 12:23:00 pm »

Help to identify a cap badge was posted on the RNRA Forum, with a photo, under the heading Royal Navy on 28 October 2018 (Now on Page 3). It came up in Google search results. A reply was posted - It’s a RN officers' badge from 1952 onwards as it’s QE2 crown.

Queen E 2 came to the throne on 6th February 1952. I cannot tell from this photo what type of crown is on the badge. If you can ascertain that is a QE2 crown it may indicate that the relative served in the Royal Navy after this date. 

Philip L
Pages: [1]   Go Up