Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should have asked my Dad when I had the chance!  (Read 10000 times)

John A Rowe

• New Recruit
  • British but living in Australia at the moment...
Should have asked my Dad when I had the chance!
« on: 14 April 2016 03:36:14 am »

Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum and to searching for a family member's naval history, so please forgive my ignorance! My father served in the navy during WW2 and I would love to find some information about him, any record at all, especially what ship(s) he may have served on, but I haven't a clue where to begin, so I thought I would ask you for some help! Unfortunately, he passed away many years ago and I missed my chance to question him about his war-time experiences, all I have is a single photograph and a few very distant memories of my mother mentioning how they met while he was in the navy. Can anybody point me in the right direction... especially websites? I'm British but living in Australia at the moment so the internet may be my only chance. His name was Alfred Rowe and I've attached the photo... my Dad is the good looking one on the far left... any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks, John

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
Re: Should have asked my Dad when I had the chance!
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2016 09:26:21 am »

Request a copy of his Service Record: this will show his branch/rating/ships served on etc. 

See: http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/Records_page.htm

Scroll down the page until you get to 'Service Records for deceased naval personnel....'

You will have to complete a form confirming you are a relative etc. and pay a small fee

As/when you obtain it, you can always return and post up the details, and ask for info ...

John A Rowe

• New Recruit
  • British but living in Australia at the moment...
Re: Should have asked my Dad when I had the chance!
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2016 01:32:42 pm »

Thanks very much for the info Philo... I've downloaded the forms and I just have to get an international money order before I can send them off. I don't have much information about my dad but I'm hoping that they'll be able to come up with something! Thanks again, cheers, John                       
Pages: [1]   Go Up