Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: looking for help deciphering Service Certificate name of ship Pario? (Milman?)19  (Read 12684 times)

jonesthecurry

• New Recruit

I have my late father's Royal Navy Service Certificate and I'm trying to decipher one entry. He joined the Prince of Wales on Oct 24, 1941 and immediately before that the ship name looks like Pario (Milman) for the period Sep 41 - Oct 41. I've searched online but can find nothing even remotely similar so wondering if anyone can help. He rarely talked about his war experience and I'm only now going through his papers trying to build a picture of his life up to and including WWII.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks

alan

spooks1959

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • The Royal Navy Research Archive

Hi Alan,

Pario = PARIS :  (Milman) = ?

The first name in the list (in this case PARIS) is the ship carrying a person’s pay and victaulling account; this can be a shore base or a depot ship. The name given in brackets afterwards is the actual vessel on which he was serving during this time. Although this is insistent we can assume it is a minesweeper or trawler/drifter since e these were under the care of PARIS. Perhaps a higher resolution scan of the names could be provided so that a closer look can be had?

The PARIS was a French Battleship seized in July 1940 at Plymouth. She was moored in Plymouth as a depot ship for Auxiliary Patrol trawlers and mine weeping vessels from September 1940.  She also acted as an accommodation ship under control of HMS DEFIANCE. Returned to French Navy July 1945.

I hope this helps
Tony

jonesthecurry

• New Recruit

Thank you, Tony, I appreciate your quick response. Unfortunately the ink on the paperwork is fading somewhat and this was the best resolution I could get. Maybe if I request a fresh copy from here:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records it'll be a lot clearer. Your explanation has been a great help so far! Thanks

alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up