Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M.S.A.S  (Read 21299 times)

Laurie Hartley

• New Recruit
M.S.A.S
« on: 02 August 2016 12:26:33 pm »

Can anyone help me with the details of the unit this badge represents please.  It is on my dad's tie.  He told me he was trained and participated in special services which involved operations in the Chanel during The Second World War.  He told me that he used to go out at night in afishing boat that met up with the French fishing fleets and transferred people, contraband and weapons with members of the French Resistance.

Laurie Hartley

• New Recruit
Re: M.S.A.S
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2016 05:56:42 am »

I was hoping someone on the board might have recognised this by now. Am I on the wrong track? If so any suggestions would be appreciated.

spooks1959

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • The Royal Navy Research Archive
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2016 10:01:16 am »

Hi Laurie

Sorry for the delay,  since no-one else has either seen the post, or knows anything, I have followed this one up. The embroidered version of the badge does it no justice and full stops between the lettering can also be misleading.

The badge is that of the Royal Navy Patrol Service (RNPS) and was originally a small Silver Badge… measuring roughly the size of an old shilling, it was created by Kruger Gray a well known artist and medal designer. The design had to symbolize the work of both the minesweeping and the anti-submarine personnel …took the form of a shield upon which a sinking shark, speared by a marline spike, was set against a background made up of a fishing net with two trapped enemy mines. This was flanked by two examples of the nautical knot and at the top the naval crown. Beneath the badge was a scroll bearing the letters M/S-A/S (Mine-sweeping Anti-Submarine).

Info taken from http://www.harry-tates.org.uk/history1.htm you can find more info on the RNPS there.

Tony

Laurie Hartley

• New Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2016 05:30:19 am »

Tony,  thank you on behalf of myself, my brother Len and sisters Sheila and Sandra for providing me with this information.  The link to the the RNPS web page was terrific - it jogged my memory that my dad (Leonard Ellis Hartley) was sent to Lowestoft for his training.  You have given me a much needed starting point to further my research into his past.

Thanks again.

Laurie

James_harvey

• Able Rate
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2018 10:41:49 pm »

His port division should be LT/******* followed by his seaman branch letter either J K L M etc then his number
Interested in researching ww2 and post war navy

tom grant

• Able Rate
  • ex-royal navy
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2018 03:58:46 pm »

Greetings ,
  All the information you seek will be kept in the museum at Lowestoft, called sparrows nest, I spent a very nice day there, and the staff were very helpful, good luck in your research,
Regards Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up