Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Nile Alexandria WW2  (Read 17105 times)

TrevorHH

• New Recruit
HMS Nile Alexandria WW2
« on: 22 November 2016 03:10:47 pm »

Hello All

Can you help with some background info please. I am helping a friend with his father's service in the Royal Navy during WW2. From October 1942 to July 1944 AB L Rideout was at HMS Nile in Alexandria (Ras el Tin). Whist there he was organising transfers and transportation of personnel to and from HMS Nile to other parts of the country. Other tasks included sentry duty and security on the nearby jetties. I know HMS Nile was a shore base and am looking for its history, where exactly it was in Alexandria and any photos to help put together a folder for my friend about his father's WW2 service. I have a photo of the palace there but Lewis seems to remember that it was a fortress he was based in.

Many thanks for any help.
 Kind regards
 Trevor

meredith

• New Recruit
Re: HMS Nile Alexandria WW2
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2016 04:38:56 pm »

Hello Trevor,
Have you seen the info on this site (Home Page > FAA Bases 1939 to present day)?
RAF Aboukir is listed as 'HMS Nile II'. I don't know if there was another HMS Nile. Another shore base nearby was  RAF Dekheila / HMS Grebe (near Alexandria).
I too have been looking for info/station diaries for this area for 1939-40, and this is the most detailed I have come across. (see my post on 30 Sept 2014 [Helping researchers>RN research archive projects need your help]).

Meredith
Pages: [1]   Go Up