Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS GLENDOWER - did Billy Butlin pay for special grave headstones?  (Read 14601 times)

JMB

• New Recruit

A few years ago I photographed the war graves in St Cawrdaf Churchyard, Abererch for the War Grave Photographic Project.  Several are from the nearby HMS GLENDOWER, they are CWGC headstone but unlike any others that I have seen.  It made me wonder if Billy Butlin perhaps paid for higher quality headstones than the standard one (HMS Glendower was in the Butlin's camp).

An example of one of these headstones.

scouselancer

• New Recruit
Re: HMS GLENDOWER - did Billy Butlin pay for special grave headstones?
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2017 12:32:26 pm »

Hi JMB, the CWGC have a document which states the Headstones were erected from Canteen Funds.  So possibly they were purchased from said funds also.

I have downloaded it and placed it as an attachment:

Phil

JMB

• New Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2017 01:10:50 pm »

Thanks, I don't think some documents were available when I first wondered about the graves.

I suspect Billy Butlin donated to the canteen funds because a training establishment with a transient population would seem to be unlikely to raise much themselves.

JMB

• New Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2017 09:51:09 pm »

A friend pointed out that Canteen / Welfare funds could accumulate quite large sums which got me wondering whether it might have been decided to use some up on the graves when HMS Glendower closed rather than send it to some central RN fund?

Pages: [1]   Go Up