Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with understanding Service Record  (Read 8787 times)

TonyR

• New Recruit
Help with understanding Service Record
« on: 19 August 2018 08:33:43 am »

Hi all, I hope some kind soul can help me understand the information on my Father in attached document.

1st, I take it that the entry ‘5 March 1928 - 12 years’ in section 'Date & Period Of Engagements' is when his 12 year service SHOULD have started, if he was found acceptable after his time as a ‘Boy Rating’?

2nd, The 'Age' entry is not a number, more like the letters ‘I.E.’ is this Navy shorthand for something?

3rd, I cannot decipher some entries in the 'Remarks Column'. My best guesses in (" ") are obviously open to correction:
First line - (a letter then "vide") Dec 26 ("ledger"),
second line - Passed Educ for
third line - AB 12-4-27
fourth line - ("I va'de" or "F va'de") Dec 27 ("ledger")

4th, I can see the entry ‘Shore Invalided’ (with a possible signature in brackets underneath) against the last entry for ‘Period Of Service’ and then the stamped entry that he was ‘Invalided’ out on 23/11/1927 – was that the end of his time in the Navy?  The reason I ask is that he continued to refer to himself as a ‘Seaman’ in documents until 1933.

5th, And lastly, if I apply for his 'Service Record' from the Navy, is it likely to contain more information than is here?

Any help appreciated, especially if I have missed something glaringly obvious!  Please be gentle with me though, as I struggle with all this modern technology.

Regards, Tony

James_harvey

• Able Rate
Re: Help with understanding Service Record
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2018 09:11:11 am »

IE is initial entry

His service starts from his 18 birthday for pension reasons

His boy Service does not count towards pension or long Service medals

Unless he rejoined then Royal Navy Record’s a way of serving to find out is to search documents online at the national archives

If any other records exist from 1927-41 they wil appear and you can then spend £30 applying for the rest 1941- onwards
« Last Edit: 19 August 2018 09:16:23 am by James_harvey »
Interested in researching ww2 and post war navy

James_harvey

• Able Rate
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2018 09:18:47 am »

He may have joined merchant navy

Search find my past for any records 1927-1941

If still serving merchant navy ww2 then the national archives will have his seaman pouch for merchant navy and they have the merchant navy medal rolls for ww2
« Last Edit: 19 August 2018 10:16:18 am by James_harvey »
Interested in researching ww2 and post war navy

TonyR

• New Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2018 09:33:18 am »

Thanks for the pointers James, will take up your advice & search Find My Past and National Archives at library tomorrow.  TonyR
Pages: [1]   Go Up