Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: General Question  (Read 5902 times)

Moggy123

• New Recruit
General Question
« on: 25 November 2020 03:09:10 pm »

Hi ,
My uncle Toms service record shows him on what looks the Pembroke between 12.02 1944 and 03.05.1944 , and then on 04.05.1944 he is at HMS Nile in Egypt .

So am i reading the name of the ship / shore base correctly ( Pembroke ) and if so , would they have flown him out there to Egypt or could there some information missing between 12.03.1944 and 03.05.1944.

Info attached

Moggy 123

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
Re: General Question
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2020 09:57:14 am »

You must remember that with a Naval service record, it is not a precise record of someone's movements, rather, who was responsible for making sure he was paid etc. 

Pembroke was the name of the naval barracks at Chatham.  They would have been what is known as his 'parent establishment' and would have made sure that he was paid etc, until he could be taken over by a new 'parent' - your relative obviously arrived in Egypt in May 1944 when Nile took over as being the 'parent'.   This also explains why some names appear in brackets after others.  The first name is the 'parent', who looked after all the paperwork, the name in brackets was where he actually was.

He would not have flown out - that was strictly for senior officers.  He would have taken passage on a ship en-route to Egypt, presumably in April 1944: unless mentioned anywhere, that would be very difficult to identify.  During this time he would have remained 'on the books' of Pembroke.

Moggy123

• New Recruit
Re: General Question
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2020 12:01:00 pm »

Many thanks for the reply , and for helping me to understand the document .

Moggy 123
Pages: [1]   Go Up