Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RNR  (Read 9115 times)

Dylan1966

• Able Rate
RNR
« on: 16 November 2019 11:36:28 am »

After the war
Did you volunteer to be in RNR?

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
Re: RNR
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2019 08:38:55 am »

Yes - but you would automatically be part of the Royal Fleet Reserve (something else entirely) after discharge, for, I think, 5 years.

Dylan1966

• Able Rate
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2019 07:59:49 am »

Automatic because you are a decent seaman? If you were useless and a bad character would you still be included? Did you get any remuneration for being a reserve? Thank you

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2019 09:37:44 am »

It’s not clear whether you refer to the RNR or RFR?
First – to differentiate the Reserves : the RNR is a voluntary organisation, to which people can give some of their time to receive a level of training which would enable them to be called forward in times of crisis and boost the numbers of ‘regulars’.    Members of the RNR receive a ‘bounty’ – a sum of money for completing a statutory number of days training, plus travelling expenses and costs.

The Fleet Reserve (RFR) was simply a list of recently discharged men, who were liable for call up in a crisis, as it was expected that they would still have the skills acquired during their service.  I believe you were kept on the RFR list for five years, after which you were removed from the list, as knowledge would have faded too much.   No money is attached to this.

All discharged men who had served the full engagement time they signed up for, would have been liable to be included in the RFR list.  Conduct during the time of service, was, I think, not a barrier.

The only difference would have been if discharged early – what was referred to as SNLR :  services no longer required.  This could happen because of constant repeated offending or committing a very serious offence; i.e. an offence which in civilian life would attract a lengthy jail term.

Dylan1966

• Able Rate
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2019 10:22:59 am »

Thank you for that
Much appreciated
Bob

Pages: [1]   Go Up