Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A/Leading Telegraphist D/Jx343296 David Gordon Mason WW2  (Read 5942 times)

derekb

• New Recruit
A/Leading Telegraphist D/Jx343296 David Gordon Mason WW2
« on: 19 March 2020 12:11:31 pm »

Good Day Everyone,
I am very new to the forum and I hope that I am posting in the correct area.
Some time ago I obtained various items relating to Leading Telegraphist D/Jx343296 David Gordon Mason, who seems to have served on several shore establishments and also the French ship "FS Marocain" as part of what I believe was the British liaison party to ensure good communications with other allied ships, mainly British, during WW2.
It is only now that I am able to research further.
There are numerous items, mainly photographs, his service folder, diary for 1943, a copy of the Bootle Times newspaper and other items I have yet to look at.
Amongst the items there are photographs mainly official of Norwegian troops in the UK, amongst the photographs is the one I have hopefully attached, of a ship flying the White Ensign and numbered 717, I am hoping that someone can help me to identify it, I believe in my ignorance that it is a Flower Class Corvette, hopefully I will upload other items with requests for help.
Regards,
Derekb

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
Re: A/Leading Telegraphist D/Jx343296 David Gordon Mason WW2
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2020 09:56:17 am »

Not a Flower class, but a converted trawler.

I would suggest that it is HMS Negro. 

Built in 1932 as a fishing trawler by Cook, Welton & Gemmell at Hull for local company Hellyer Bros.  381 tons  145ft x 25ft (as built); rebuilt 1939 at 402 tons 161ft x 25ft
In 1939 requisitioned by the RN and converted to a minesweeper, pennant Fy.717
Returned to civilian owners in May 1945; sold to Lord Line later that year and renamed Lord Portal; sold again in 1947 to Ocean Steam Trawling and renamed Vian.   Sold for scrap 1957

https://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/7070.html

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/163396292715148392/

Pages: [1]   Go Up