Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HM KING GEORGE V FUNERAL PROCESSION AT WINDSOR CASTLE 1936  (Read 14253 times)

Bruce Stephens

• New Recruit
  • Ex Harbour Tuggy
HM KING GEORGE V FUNERAL PROCESSION AT WINDSOR CASTLE 1936
« on: 21 October 2014 03:35:03 pm »

I am researching the parts played by my late Father Samuel Joseph STEPHENS, P/JX131890, and my late uncle George Matthew COLE P/JX133599, in the funeral procession at Windsor on 28 January 1936.  At that time, they were both serving at HMS EXCELLENT.  As a child back in the 1950s, I remember seeing a large photograph of the gun crew pulling the King's coffin on the ceremonial gun to St Georges chapel. Although both my side of the family and that of my Uncle are in possession of the Royal Victorian Medal and letter sent when the medal was issued, we have no photographic record of the occasion. Also, I have managed to find a plan of the ratings position in the gun crew on the day and neither my Father nor Uncle appear on this plan. I believe this to be of the crew that pulled the King from Paddington railway station.

Therefore, could anyone confirm that there were indeed two separate crews on the occasion. Furthermore, could you please indicate where I could purchase copies of the photographs taken of the Windsor procession and if there is a position plan of the gun crew for the Windsor procession.

Thanking you in anticipation of your helpful assistance in this matter,

Kindest regards,

Bruce Stephens

optrorock

• New Recruit
Re: HM KING GEORGE V FUNERAL PROCESSION AT WINDSOR CASTLE 1936
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2020 07:40:52 pm »

Hi Bruce. My grandfather Harry Douglas Wooler J114306 was also on the gun carriage yet he was HMS Pembroke (Chatham Rating).  From what I understand the Royal Victorian Medal was presented to the Ratings by George VI but unfortunately my Grandfather had been transferred to HMS Hussar which was patrolling in the Med whilst the Spanish Civil War was on.  My question would be what type of RVM Medal did your Father receive?  Was it Bronze, Silver or Gold? Unfortunately my Grandfather's medal has long since disappeared.

If you have a plan I would appreciate a copy so that I can see if my Grandfather is on it?

Kindest regards
James K Garner
Pages: [1]   Go Up