Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WW2 Service Records and Service Number RN Sub Lieutn. Malcolm Sinclair  (Read 17225 times)

JedStu

• New Recruit

Dear Royal Navy Research Archive Team

Please may I ask... for a little help finding Royal Navy Service Records, Service Number, also any other details?

I would very much like to send in an application for Malcolm John Trery Sinclair's WW2 Royal Navy service records, also possibly a request for a re-issue of Malcolm's medals too ~ is it possible to do this?​

Is there any way at all to find Malcolm's ​Royal Navy Service Number, as I believe this is required when applying for the service records?

Is this the correct way to apply for Malcolm's service records, if so my mother can sign the application as required?​

Part 1​
http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/PDF_files/request_service_details_NOK_part1_v6.doc​

Part 2​
http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/PDF_files/request_for_service_details_rnrm_application_part2.doc​

Malcolm John Trery Sinclair: born 20th November 1906, Hampstead, London.​

Malcolm told me a wartime story, of where his ship went in aid of a sinking ship, where the seas were a blaze, and the men they saved and pulled aboard were burnt black from head to toe, but they still alive. This was such an upsetting sight to see, Malcolm did not talk of this dreadful experience again.​

Malcolm was assigned to Bletchley Park, to help assist with solving the Enigma Codes.​

I have included below, a number of online references to Malcolm J.T. Sinclair.
Please can you also tell me if it's possible to expand on any of these details, including of course the H.M.S. Flowerdown.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you very much, in anticipation.
Take care and my best wishes.
Jed

//

Malcolm JT Sinclair ~ Online documentation:

Sinclair Michael J T  Royal Navy​

The Royal Navy ~ 1942, 23rd November.​
Page 2533​

Temporary Lieutenant ​
Special Branch ~ Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve​

M. J. T. Sinclair​

//

Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve list ~ 1943, 30th July.​
Page 734​

Temporary Act. Sg. Com. ~ ??  ​

Name and where serving: ​

Malcolm John Trery Sinclair  ~  FLOWERDAWN​  (Flowerdown)

L(Sp) Rank -- Division  30th July 1943 Seniority​

//

Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve list ~ 1943, 30th July.​
Page 1724​

Special Branch ​

Temporary Lieutenants​

EX.S Malcolm John Trery Sinclair​

//

The Royal Navy ~ 1944, 30th October.​
Page 2596​

FLOWERDOWN​

Special Branch ~ Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve​

Temporary Lieutenant ​

M. J. T. Sinclair

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member

As an officer - there is NO service number

You can usually trace the career of an officer through the Navy Lists - which you  have evidently done.
Commissioned in 1941, he is shown as a Special Branch officer,  in the RNVR. This applied to 'temporary officers' fulfilling other than normal seamanship or engineering roles  The NL shows him with (S) indicating that he had completed a course as a Signals Officer

Serving at President III from Nov 42 - which was just the name of an accounting base, covering a number of odd postings

Flowerdown from Oct 44 - was the radio station located at the village of that name, which during WW2 was involved in the intercept of enemy radio traffic, see:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11079154

Neither of the posts shown were sea going ... was he a rating before being commissioned? 

Try: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

JedStu

• New Recruit

Hello PhiloNauticus

Many thanks for looking through, checking on, the Flowerdown link, also for explaining a little of Malcolm's details.

Sadly I don't have any other details, nor any access to the Navy Lists.

The details I found were from an online search, or from a genealogy website.

Are you able to possibly show me any of Malcolm's details as held within the Navy Lists, please?

I will be sending for Malcolm's service records very soon.

Thank you once again for your very kind assistance.
Jed

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member

I can give what the Navy Lists have - although it will not be much more than you know

I can say, that his appointment to President-III may have resulted in sea-time: among others, it was primarily used to look after the pay etc of those men posted to DEMS ships.

If so, then he would certainly have seen action on the Atlantic convoys, although it may prove difficult to identify which ships he served on

for DEMS see: https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/archivesheet71

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member

First appears in the December 1942 NL as a Temporary Sub-Lieutenant, RNVR, special branch, having been commissioned 30 October 1942;  he has the notation (EX.S) which indicates that has qualified in a Signals course.

Appointed to HMS President-III on 23 November 1942 – this was just the name of an Accounting Base, for personnel at odd places, but in particular, those serving onboard DEMS (defensively equipped merchant ships).

The Navy Lists do not show any other information for this period, although his Service Record may give more.

In 1943 Navy Lists noted as Temporary Lieutenant from 30 July 1943, still appointed to President-III

Appointed HMS Flowerdown 30 October 1944 and remained there through 1945

Pages: [1]   Go Up