Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Continuous Service Card  (Read 8516 times)

Lynnwood

• New Recruit
Help with Continuous Service Card
« on: 30 June 2020 12:17:51 pm »

Hi, I am new to this group and before I ask a question I should declare that I do not have any “first hand” experience of the Royal Navy other than speaking to ex sailor`s whom I worked with in the Fire Service.

My interest is that of family history. I firmly believe that any individual who served for us in any capacity and particularly at times of conflict, that their service and contributions should be recorded for the family. “Lest we forget”

That said, I am currently researching a relative a “Career” Sailor who enlisted as a Boy on the 9 July 1916. I have managed to follow his Service Record up to the record being transferred to Continuous Record Card in January 1929. His name was George Newell service number J55442.
Over time I have managed to decipher most of the entries of his service and hopefully accurately recorded it.

However some of the entries on his card are being difficult to interpret or are confusing. Perhaps someone within this group may be able to help?  I have included a copy of his card here. Most of the abbreviations I am aware of but some of them are being illusive! I would be most grateful for any help. Many Thanks
« Last Edit: 30 June 2020 12:21:55 pm by Lynnwood »
Researching family "For those who follow"

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
Re: Help with Continuous Service Card
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2020 05:53:53 pm »

The card indicates that he left the Navy in 1/1931
31 Jan 31 - C(ontinuous) S(ervice) expired   and the notation Joined R(oyal) F(leet) R(eserve) 1 Feb 31

The RFR was basically a list of recently discharged ratings from the Navy, that could be recalled in an emergency

He was called back to service in Sep '38 for just three days, before being de-mobilised again: this would have been in response the the Sudetenland Crisis of September 1938, when it was feared that war would break out with Germany; it was defused when Prime Minister Chamberlain got an agreement for 'peace in our time' with Hitler

Re-called for service again in August 1939.   His rating was GL - gun layer; for service on DEMS - defensively equipped merchant ships

He remained serving with DEMS, being promoted to Leading Seaman 17 Oct 1941 and then Acting Petty Officer in October 1942

He blotted his copy book by being found guilty of negligence of duty, which led to him being deprived of 1 GCB (good conduct badge) in January 1945

For DEMS see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensively_equipped_merchant_ship#:~:text=Defensively%20equipped%20merchant%20ship%20(DEMS,against%20enemy%20submarines%20and%20aircraft.

and:
http://merchantships2.tripod.com/dems/handout.html

Lynnwood

• New Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2020 07:19:16 pm »

Thank you so much for this. The information is extremely useful, Just 1 last request, when would say he was demobbed from the service?

Many Thanks
« Last Edit: 30 June 2020 07:31:16 pm by Lynnwood »

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2020 07:49:35 pm »

No date of discharge is shown, but it would have been during 1945: the de-mobilisation started straight after VE day in June 1945.

Lynnwood

• New Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2020 08:26:16 pm »

Thanks again! much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up