Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: German ship flag annotated  (Read 5332 times)

cumartium

• New Recruit
German ship flag annotated
« on: 13 December 2022 03:15:58 pm »

The mystery started when the widow of a local doctor found this flag among his personal belongings. She, not knowing anything about it, donated it to the Crow’s Nest Officers Club in St. John’s, Nfld. A friend saw it and alerted me because my uncle's name, John Bull, was on the flag. My uncle served in the Royal Navy from 1942 to 1945 on the RN Weller (FY137). Uncle John had passes away before I became aware of the flag hence the mystery.
   My photograph of the flag shown below has the following legible names: JOCK LYALL SCOTLAND FOREVER; CHAS INCH SCOTLAND; JOHN BULL EASTPORT, B.B. NFLD;GORDON SAUNDERS NFLD; ?? BYTH; TAFFY HUGHES LLANDUDNO;SIG. R. KNIGHT (KETTERING); J.A.D. ******; HARRY MORE (SHETLAND IS); P. SHORT (LONDON); FREDRICK BROWN NFLD; D. PARKINSON SKIPPER FLEET??? L?WS; A. BANKS SK. LT.  R.N.R. COM. OFFICER ; I have annotated the three Newfounderlanders in white. I found out 3 months too late that I could have questioned Gordon Saunders. He died in August.
   I cannot connect the officers Parkininson or Banks with the Weller.  I have a picture of the Weller signed by the then commander, Graham Hellyer 25 Apr 44. The mystery continues but hopefully someone out there can shed some light on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up