Personnel > Royal Navy

Help with Grandads service record

(1/1)

Robbelc:
Hi my grandad served 1921-24 and I would love for somebody to help me work out where he served and why he was discharged as I am very much struggling with the hand writing. He was Harold Alfred Belcher SS11089.  He died way before I was born and it was the family's 'dirty washing' that he left my nan in c1950 with 7 kids. So my dad never takled about him but my aunt did, they have all now passed away.
I can work out he started and finished at Chatham, and served on HMS Repluse for a short time  which may have included trips to Gib, Norway and Denmerk? I am interested in what the other three entries are, I assume rank is Ordenary seaman? Was he discharged for a reason or had he just done his time?

regards
Rob Belcher

PhiloNauticus:
He did not enjoy a good career …. he was discharged early as ‘unsuitable’

He enlisted in the Navy in July 1921 for 5 years.    He was at HMS Pembroke – that was the naval base at Chatham, between July and October, presumably for training.  If you look at the ‘character and ability’ columns, you will see alongside this VG and Mod -  this means character very good, but ability only Moderate – the usual entry would be Sat for satisfactory.
Between October 1921 and March 1922, he served on the battlecruiser Tiger and you may note that his ability has now been raised to Sat (isfactory).
March to May 1922 on the cruiser Cleopatra (parent ship Birmingham) – and now note that his character has been dropped a grade to ‘ Fair’ – this usually indicates that a problem with discipline.
He was back at Pembroke (Chatham) between May 22 and January 1923 before joining the Repulse for the period January to October 1923.   He then must have got himself into serious trouble as he was sentenced to 42 days detention, which he must have served end-October to early December 23.  Then sent back to Pembroke for discharge as ‘unsuitable’

Robbelc:
Thank you for taking time to do that, it is very interesting to read, but not suprising to hear of his failuers. Sadly he had a very negative impact on the family and to his dying day my dad would never talk about him. It was only while doing some family reasearch I found about his navy career. I am more used to reasearching the junior service so very much appreciate finding more info out about him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version