Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Landing Craft at D-Day  (Read 7473 times)

PMardon

• New Recruit
Landing Craft at D-Day
« on: 16 December 2021 03:19:31 pm »

My father Reginald Roland Mardon was a Leading Signalman. His P&V Ledger records him as being on LCH 187 from 2 June 1944 to 30 June 1944. LCH 187 is listed as being part of the G2 Force at Gold Beach. He was then assigned to HMS Squid which i understand was the Landing Craft shorebase. He was reassigned to LCH 187 in September. Then after another reassignment to Squid he was recorded as being on LCT 187 on two occasions in November 1944. He was then reassigned back to LCH 187 between Feb 1945 & May 1945.

Whilst I can find reference to LCH 187 in a number of sources (she survived the war & was returned to the USN in May 1946) I cannot find any specific reference to LCT 187. Is it possible that my father was assigned to both an LCH & an LCT both of whom happened to have the same number? Or is there a transcription error in the record? Any thoughts welcome!

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
Re: Landing Craft at D-Day
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2021 09:29:57 am »

I would suggest that this is a transcription error: most unlikely that he would have served on different landing craft with the same number
Pages: [1]   Go Up