Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wreck of HMS Exeter in 2007  (Read 6254 times)

KevD

• New Recruit
    • WW2wrecks.com
Wreck of HMS Exeter in 2007
« on: 05 May 2022 01:01:31 pm »

Gents (and Ladies),

Been working for some now time with Stefan Draminski on a 3D rendition of the wreck of HMS Exeter, depicted in the condition as we discovered her in 2007, using several expeditions worth of survey data, so here is a preview.

Just a little taste for the moment, I'll have a web page up with various angle views in the not too distant future, and a fly-around on YouTube also, or so I am told.

PLEASE NOTE: The 'gash' across the aft deck is not, repeat not the result of a torpedo hit, although the one across the bow certainly is. The other torp hit, right between the funnels, can only be seen on the 3D 'bottom' views, as although it hit the starboard side, it blew out part of the bottom of the ship. The gash across stern deck (and partway down port hull side there) was simply caused by 'gravity', i.e. the weight of the two inner-most props, and rudder, 'pulling down' / collapsing the very stern over a certain amount of time underwater, as the stern was, obviously, never built to support aforesaid weight while laying on her side.

And just so no confusion as to what the stern looks like, another image below. A diver could (has) swim under wreck where the elongated 'V' like bend in starboard deck edge is (on the seabed), and come out at props, and inspected / surveyed the starboard hull under there, and no (torp) hole there.

So, even though the salvagers might have taken her body and soul, we will still have something that many can see, that was made in her and her sailors honour to remember them both / all by.

Enjoy, (I hope).
« Last Edit: 05 May 2022 01:04:03 pm by KevD »
“We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant, HMS Repulse. 8 December 1941
“A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942

KevD

• New Recruit
    • WW2wrecks.com
Re: Wreck of HMS Exeter in 2007
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2022 10:59:01 am »

Gents,

The memorial web page is now up, thanks to Pierre Kosmidis of WW2wrecks.com.

It contains historical photos, more 3D wreck images and a survey description of the of the wreck itself.

Enjoy!

https://www.ww2wrecks.com/portfolio/a-dedication-to-hms-exeter-the-shipwreck-that-disappeared-featuring-3d-renditions-of-the-wreck-by-kevin-denlay/
“We are off to look for trouble. I expect we shall find it.” Capt. Tennant, HMS Repulse. 8 December 1941
“A review of the situation at about 1100 was not encouraging.” Capt. Gordon, HMS Exeter. 1 March 1942
Pages: [1]   Go Up