Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bermuda. Name of Royal Navy base or dock yard.  (Read 10 times)

Philip L

• Able Rate
Bermuda. Name of Royal Navy base or dock yard.
« on: Today at 02:39:11 pm »

My father (Norman Lock) who was in the Royal Navy between 1942 and 1946 has Bermuda listed on his travel list (HMS Findhorn) on the back of his King Neptune certificate. HMS Findhorn must have called in to Bermuda at some stage. But there is no shore base listed in the ships served on record in regard to Bermuda. I would like to know the name of the Royal Navy base or Dock yard in Bermuda in WW2. I have got a bit of information below from Wikipedia, Bermuda Garrison. My father collected a map that was revised in 1942. Naval bases are not shown for defense reasons. Permission for the map was obtained from the Royal engineers (1896). My father may have got the map from the drug store shown on the map.

Philip L

In addition to the British Army and Royal Naval units in Bermuda during the War, a Royal Canadian Navy base, HMCS Somers Isles, operated at the former Royal Naval site at Convict Bay, and four airbases were operated in Bermuda – one by the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm, the Royal Air Force used RAF Darrell's Island, the US Navy operated flying boats from the US Naval Operating Base, and the US Army Air Force and the RAF shared an airfield built by the US Army, Kindley Field.

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
Re: Bermuda. Name of Royal Navy base or dock yard.
« Reply #1 on: Today at 03:41:48 pm »

Royal Navy maintained a base at Bermuda until 1995 - it was HMS Malabar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Naval_Dockyard,_Bermuda

Pages: [1]   Go Up