Reserve Forces > Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve

APO John Jenkins, HMS BALDUR

<< < (3/3)

JVRirchie:
Hi all.
Some  mentioned Baldur way back but my father served in that regiment in Iceland under the name Baldur first in Hnífsdalur/ Ísafjord that was look out station then in Hvitanes in Hvalfjord were allt convoys resupplied near Reykjavík. His Port Division was Portsmouth P/JX 210596.
On the 12 of Mars 1941 he and another navy man from Hnifsdal were suddenly called and ordered to to go on Minesweeper from Isafjord.
I was wondering if they were replacing those two mentioned earlier that got lost at sea. 

I have few wartime ships mentioned in his War time Certificate of service, Victory was one but I could not find that ship.
Fortitude was another and 3 entries on Baldur then one ship I am having hard time reading  but this is nearest i could get. HMS  Boehrane II (Alahester) ? 

Most of the mines were out of Westfjords but my father served some time trying to blow up runaway mines and in his Diary he said they used 500 rounds to blow one up. Must have been rough sea.   

PhiloNauticus:

If you could scan and post up a copy of his service record, someone should be able to work out the ships names etc...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version