Ship's Badges > Unofficial Badges

Combined Operations unofficial mystery badge

<< < (2/2)

rickles23:
Hi all,

It is a 'home made' effort but proving hard to track down.

I contacted the Museum for any additional information and this email has just arrived:

Hi thanks for you email with regard to the ship's badge, all I have is the
photograph.

So it may be a Landing Craft Squadron?

The hunt continues.

Regards

PhiloNauticus:
I would tend to agree with the comments above - it is likely to be an unofficial badge. I believe that it was not unusual for ships/units who did not have a badge to create their own.  The combined ops and snail would suggest a landing craft.

Incidentally, I always knew ROMFT as = Roll on my f*****g time...

rickles23:
Hi,

No success in searching for the origin of the Snail.

But it is so unusual I have included it into my own research. It does have the Combined Operations badge so my thoughts are that it is either a Landing Craft or a Commando Troop unofficial emblem. See attached Fox Commando Xmas card.

I try, if possible to have the original version and a tidied up version. See attached.

The only Snail insignia I have found is HMAS Kimbla which has a Yellow Snail on the funnel. See attached.

Regards

tom grant:
Greetings,
 As I am a new member of this forum, I would like to introduce myself, I have a vast collection of ships badges , RN. and Commonwealth, and I enjoy looking at unofficial badges and trying to get into the mindset of the person who designed the unofficial badge, so I am aware of the Snail badge  posted but would if possible like to see more enquiries about unofficial badges,
Thanks Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version