Surface Vessels > Combined Operations

LCQ 489 ( FORMERLY USS LCI(L) 489

<< < (2/2)

sue fraser-mitchell:
I have found a photograph of my late father which is written on sub; lt. L.A.G. Fraser-Mitchell HM LCQ 489 Port Said, he was part of the D Day landings and I have just three photos of his war service on this vessel. He did say that either they, or another LC had been damaged and lashed themselves together to limp back home, I wish I had asked a lot more now, so I was pleased to find this site through google

sue fraser-mitchell:
first photo was Malta, this is Port Said

Paul Skidmore:
Hi Sue,
Quite possible that the photos of your dad were taken around the time that my late father was also serving on 489 as Stoker 1st Class from 01.11.1945 to 13.06.1945. The photo in Port Said could possibly be around 29.01.1946 when 489 was berthed and in Malta between 12.03.1946 and 2304.1946 after which she would have been on passage to US Naval base in Norfolk, Virginia.
Sadly, like your dad mine never really spoke of his time that he was posted to 263 LCI (L) Flotilla between D-Day and VE Day. LCQ489 was his last sea posting and I recall him saying that after the 489 was handed back to the US Navy the ships personnel returned to the UK aboard the Queen Mary which was used during wartime as a troopship. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version