Personnel > Royal Navy

Strange Story from WW2

<< < (2/2)

jackroyd:
This is turning out to be far more difficult to document than I ever imagined.  Were there cruisers of any other countries that could have threatened Waveney?  I read the book Battle of the Atlantic a couple of years ago hoping this incident would have been mentioned. But no. Don't know what else I can ask him.   j

PhiloNauticus:

Without a tighter timeframe, it is difficult to identify the stranger.  If it was in the Bay of Biscay, the obvious candidate would be Spanish.

I wonder - the heavy cruiser Canarias would seem a possibility - with its trunked single funnel it could be mistaken at long range for a German
see:
https://www.world-war.co.uk/spain/canarias.php3

jackroyd:
I agree Canarias is a likely candidate. She was the Nationalist flagship for 40 years, killed 32 ships. Was, I think now, on a routine patrol making sure no enemy forces were intruding on neutral Spain's waters. It could have been 10 or 20 km away and thus hard to ID clearly.
All this I have learned in the last few minutes of searching from your hint.  j

jackroyd:
I have told Norman about the Canarius being the mystery ship.  He is intrigued with your observation. He said "But we had men with binoculars up to the crowsnest and they agreed it was German."  So, the ship was a long way off by the sound of it. I am sure you have solved this ancient puzzle; all your help much appreciated.  j

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version