Personnel > Royal Navy

Fathers Service Record

<< < (2/5) > >>

PhiloNauticus:
… and to de-code a little more:
In the Character and Efficiency columns, they record his disciplinary record and assessment of his work -
He is mostly V.G. (very good) for discipline, except for a bit in 38-39 and again in 41... must have done something naughty..  His work is usually rated Sat (satisfactory) and later Supr (superior).   Also noted in 1949 as RR = recommend re-engagement

n4mv3t:
PhiloNauticus - I thank you so very much for your three posts and for taking the time to add so much more information to make sense (for me) of his post war service ... most helpful ... I'll try to post the back page of his Service Record today, as that might have some more gems of info on it.
n4mv3t

n4mv3t:
Here is page 2 as promised ... thanks ... Doc

PhiloNauticus:
This shows that he completed his naval service 1954 – 55 on HMS Boxer – this was a radar training ship at this time
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Boxer_(F121)

He is noted as being invalided out PUNS – Permanently Unfit for Naval Service
Under this there is very faint (pencil) notations which seem to record that he was found guilty of a charge of Contempt and disrated to Able Seaman in October 1942 onboard the Arethusa.   This explains the change in discipline record I mentioned before – in the Navy Contempt means when someone “Uses threatening or insubordinate language to, or behaves with contempt to, his superior officer”
Under that, more faint writing seems to be a resumé of his progress after this – promoted back to Leading Seaman then to Petty Officer / to the RFR (Royal Fleet Reserve) / reengages etc

The bottom left hand corner are just notes of various admin forms being completed. It does show that he was discharged from Royal Navy Hospital, Haslar – no reason given

The Personal Description is obvious

Engagements – just a note of the dates he engaged and for how long etc

Under Clothing and Bedding ( a rarely completed box !) is noted his medal award –
He received the 1939-45 Star = Atlantic Star = Burma Star = Italy Star = War Medal
See; http://www.rogersstudy.co.uk/medals/ww2_stars/stars.html

Bottom right are the Examinations – these are just notes of when he completed various professional courses and also shows the Home Address he was discharged to in Castle Road, Southwick, Fareham

n4mv3t:
 PhiloNauticus - Again, many thanks for those explanations. Attached are some statements/comments hopefully you may hav an answer or two ... Doc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version