Personnel > Royal Navy

Service record research - P.O. Telegraphist W. Humphries - D/JX144022

<< < (2/2)

pidgeonpost:
That's a good bit of work Noel - thank you! An aspect of my Dad's service record is the very short duration of some of his postings - sometimes only a few days, so what you suggest seems perfectly plausible.
Fort Beri isn't mentioned on his Certificate of Service, only on the additional information from the RN archives. This will have been transcribed from some other document so perhaps there was a transcription error at that stage.

pidgeonpost:
I knew I had a photo somewhere of my Dad wearing a uniform that didn't seem to be Royal Navy issue. Yesterday I found the photo and I intended to post it here to see if anyone else had an idea of what uniform it might be. However, a note on the back of the photo has answered the question - it's Army uniform, presumably British.
While in Algiers they were billeted ashore in the gymnasium of a school. There was a lot of bombing by enemy aircraft and the gymnasium was hit. There were a number of men killed and those that survived lost their kit and were somehow kitted out with army uniforms. Dad's audio diary mentions that during the night some men were restless and got up to make tea using 'Tommy cookers'. The gym had high windows and there was some speculation that the light from the cookers may have made the building stand out as an obvious target.

James_harvey:
RN wore navy blue battle dress during ww2

Very similar to army battle except blue not khaki

pidgeonpost:
Well thank you James - much appreciated. Unless there are any design differences I'll probably never know. I'll have a search online though.

James_harvey:
They are wearing naval caps so pretty certain the service dress will be blue

There are a few books available on naval uniforms during ww2

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version