Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: John Edward Dolan - Lieutenant Commander RN  (Read 3488 times)

• New Recruit
John Edward Dolan - Lieutenant Commander RN
« on: 27 July 2023 09:40:51 am »

I am seeking as much information as possible about John Edward Dolan (known as Jack) a distant relation to me and wonder if readers could help me find more detail on this gentleman. He was a RN Lieutenant Commander in wartime but very sadly left the Navy under a cloud having experienced two Courts Martial. The reasons for his misdemeanours I understand can be attributed to family as he suffered the tragic death of his child (all of who are buried near to me in Cornwall) in the late 1940s. He was awarded the MBE and I had the good fortune to view his medal (photo attached) from his daughter recently. Any assistance would be most welcome as finding out more about Mr Dolan (who I remember well as a child) would be much appreciated by his daughter who is in her 80s now. To us Mr Dolan was a hero and I hope it might be possible to provide comfort to his daughter of anything that might details his experiences.

Thanks for reading this.

Some years in 2019 ago a helpful forum member posted this information:

Apparently joined Royal Navy in 1927 as a Boy Seaman.  Evidently selected for accelerated promotion, as he had reached Warrant rank ten years later.  His career can be traced in Navy Lists after this.

Promoted to rank of Gunner 1 April 1937   
Appointed: HMS St Vincent June 1937   
Appointed: HMS Bridgewater 20 September 1938
Awarded MBE in New Year’s Honours List 1 Jan 1941
Promoted to Acting Lieutenant 31 May 1942   
appointed: HMS Porcupine  1 July 1942
Confirmed Lieutenant, and seniority adjusted to 2 April 1939
Appointed: HMS Lewes  26 January 1943
Appointed:  HMS Renown 25 April 1944
Appointed:  HMS Highflyer  28 March 1945 as an acting Lieutenant Commander
Confirmed Lt Cdr ...1946
Appointed HMS Daedalus … 1947
Appointed HMS Pembroke … 1948

He seems to have ended his career on a low note, with two courts-martial for drunkenness:
August 1947: found guilty by court-martial of five charges of assault, being drunk and generally behaving badly at RAF station Hednesford. Sentence:  severely reprimanded; dismissed his ship.   Evidence was given that he was celebrating “an addition to the family” and the session did not end well…
 March 1948:  found guilty by court-martial of being drunk on duty: severely reprimanded; dismissed his ship; loss of six months seniority. I have no details of this incident
Pages: [1]   Go Up