Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Father stayed with Canadian Navy friend while on leave in Canada in WW2  (Read 2841 times)

Philip L

• Able Rate

My father, Norman Lock (1924 - 2021), stayed with Douglas Miller (Canadian Navy) and his family (Wife and 3 small children in another photo that Norman kept) at Oromocto, Sunbury, New Brunswick, Canada during WW2. Norman, British Royal Navy (1942 - 1946) is on your right as you look at photo. Douglas Miller is on your left as you look at the photo. Norman served on HMCS Chilliwack at one stage during WW2. There is a Canadian Telegram dated 10th May 1943 from the Navy, Lieutenant CM Temple, to the care of Mrs. Hugh Miller (Mother of Douglas Miller) granting Norman a leave extension.

Philip L

Philip L

• Able Rate

There are some names in my father's (Norman Lock) 1946 diary (In photo) in relation to his stay at Oromocto, Sunbury, New Brunswick Canada during WW2. I am not sure of the relationship of Douglas Miller to Mrs. Urban Miller. And how the other names in the 1946 diary were involved with Norman. I did presume that Mrs. Hugh Miller was the mother of Douglas Miller (Because of the Canadian Telegram details). Norman did receive a letter from Miss Louise Neales, addressed to HMS Findhorn, with a post box address in England, from memory (I still have that letter). Mrs. Douglas Miller wrote a letter to Norman's father in 1953 to inquire about how Norman was getting on. The letter said that Norman was a very good friend of her husband (Douglas Miller) and Norman stayed with her husband, during WW2, while on leave at Oromocto, Sunbury (I still have that letter).

Philip L

Philip L

• Able Rate

Photo of out side of letter to Norman on HMS Findhorn in WW2 from Louise Neales (I think it is Neales and not Meals) in Canada.

Philip L
Pages: [1]   Go Up