Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible HMS Cressy Tompion?  (Read 3325 times)

Artlg

• New Recruit
Possible HMS Cressy Tompion?
« on: 28 September 2023 05:19:54 pm »

Greetings,
 I am trying to get some information on this Tompion purportedly from HMS Cressy.  It's been in my family for about 50 years and the information with it claimed it was from the Cressy but with no indication of which Cressy.
 I have tried diligently to find the ships badge for HMS Cressy with no luck and am hoping one of you would be kind enough to clarify or possibly point me in the right direction.
  Thanks in advance for your input. best, Art

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
Re: Possible HMS Cressy Tompion?
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2023 11:41:36 am »

Ship's badges were only officially approved from 1919, but before then, many ships had unofficial badges, designed by the officers & crew.  Your tompion is almost certainly one of these.  The design would seem to fit the name, so it may well be correct.  I am not aware of any comprehensive list or descriptions of these many unofficial, unapproved designs.

No badge has ever been granted officially, as there have been no sea-going ships of the name since 1914.  The name was later used by the RNR at Dundee, but they never had a Cressy badge, but used an RNR one.

I would think that it would belong to the Cressy of 1899, lost in 1914.

Artlg

• New Recruit
Re: Possible HMS Cressy Tompion?
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2023 01:36:24 pm »

Thank you very much for your reply and all the information. Appreciate your time and knowledge!
Pages: [1]   Go Up