Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grandad's Mercantile Marine Medal  (Read 2646 times)

Gunnersgrandson

• New Recruit
Grandad's Mercantile Marine Medal
« on: 22 November 2023 05:15:43 pm »

Can anyone help explain?

E Osborn's RN service record shows he signed up for twelve years on his 18th birthday - 3rd November 1919
His record also shows he was a Boy 2 from 6th October 1918

He was subsequently awarded the Mercantile Marine Medal issued 29th January 1923 which I understand was awarded to sailors of the British Mercantile Marine (Merchant Navy?)
Google tells me that qualification for this medal was for service of not less than six months in a danger zone during the war.

Am I missing something as I can't make sense of it.

Mark

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
Re: Grandad's Mercantile Marine Medal
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2023 07:23:09 am »

On the record,  look at his Occupation (top right hand corner) before he joined the Navy - it says Engineers Servant, Mercantile Marine

As he was 17 years old when he joined, it meant that he had gone to sea before, probably when he was 14 or 15 years old (quite normal for the time)

Gunnersgrandson

• New Recruit
Re: Grandad's Mercantile Marine Medal
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2023 12:09:20 pm »

Thank you

Of course this leads to further questions that you may or may not be able to help with.

Do you know of any sources where I can track down on what ship this previous service might have been on?

And on a different tack, I know that he was on Dauntless when she ran aground off Halifax in 1928

There is a faint note at the bottom of his service record which I think refers to this event in someway, however I am struggling to read it. Do you have any thoughts?

M

Pages: [1]   Go Up