Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meeting of RN and IJN officers in the early 1900s  (Read 4333 times)

John Seal

• New Recruit
Meeting of RN and IJN officers in the early 1900s
« on: 29 November 2022 04:25:37 pm »

Hello,

I wonder if anyone out there can help me with the attached photo and silhouette drawing. Any ideas of what the meeting was about, where and when ?

From an analysis of the careers of the officers sitting in the first row, I have whittled the date down to somewhere around 1908.

For more information about the photo see the chapter on the emergence of the Imperial Japanese Navy on my website www.navtechlife.com

Take it steady,

John

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
Re: Meeting of RN and IJN officers in the early 1900s
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2022 09:25:51 am »

Vice Admiral Hedworth Lambton was CinC China Station 1908 – 1909 and I would suggest that this photo was taken during one of his visits to Japan – another clue to that, is that the photo also features Captain Dundas, who was serving as British Naval Attaché in Tokyo at this time

Perhaps the visit in May – June 1908 when a British squadron – King Alfred (flagship) with Kent, Bedford, Clio and Alacrity - visited Yokohama; it was reported that the Admiral went to Tokyo for an audience with the Emperor, being hosted by Prince Ito
Pages: [1]   Go Up