Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decoding a Royal Navy service record  (Read 3880 times)

Richard Junemann

• New Recruit
Decoding a Royal Navy service record
« on: 17 May 2023 12:46:51 pm »

Can anyone help me decode the attached service record, please?
I'm trying to find out what happened to Albert Kent after his release from prison in 1921. The record makes reference to Scunthorpe Police in 1939 with the annotation N.L. What might this mean? And where might I continue my search?
Thank you.
Richard

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
Re: Decoding a Royal Navy service record
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2023 03:13:28 pm »

Not all of the record is shown, but the ‘Remarks’ show that he was marked ‘R’ = Run on 29 April 1912 – ‘run’ is the naval terminology for deserted.

N.L.  = I confess I have not found what it stands for, but I believe that it is part of a letter reference; it indicates the Admiralty department that originated the letter, with a serial number and a date.

So, as shown on the record, NL 4321 of 28/10/13 is just the citation for the entry, which says ‘Convicted by CP for manslaughter and sentenced to 10 years penal servitude. Not claimed for further service in RN’
CP = civil powers

Likewise, the next entry sc(?) 2252/39 Trace to NL for Scunthorpe Police would be an internal reference acting as a citation for the entry, with a subsequent date and NL number is just a letter reference.

Presumably this means that for some reason, in 1939 Scunthorpe police made an enquiry with the Navy about him, but as the Navy had no interest in him after 1913, I doubt that they could have had anything more than his service record.  I wouldn't know where to start looking for that correspondence; if it survives, then perhaps in the mass of Admiralty correspondence now in the National Archives, but I would suggest it would be rather like looking for a needle in a haystack...

Incidentally, there was widespread newspaper coverage of the arrest and subsequent trial of Kent, including a photograph of him...

Richard Junemann

• New Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2023 09:43:20 am »

Many thanks for this. I think the Scunthorpe Police reference may have to remain a mystery.
I'm interested in the photograph of Albert Kent that you say can be found in the press coverage of his crime. I did uncover most of the articles via the Newspapers.com website but not one with a photograph. Could you let me have the name and date of the paper in question.
Thank you again.
Richard

Richard Junemann

• New Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2023 09:58:30 am »

Update: I had another look via Newspaper.com and did indeed find a report in The People 21 Sept 1913 with an artist's impression of Kent. Is this the one you also found?

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2023 09:17:57 am »

Yes, but also a photo - Daily Mirror - Tuesday 21 October 1913  - page 4  piece headed ‘Manslaughter of Father’

Richard Junemann

• New Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2023 02:23:17 pm »

Thank you very much for this. Did you use the British Newspaper Archive?
Incidentally, I managed to track down the Scunthorpe police reference. By 1939 he'd changed his name slightly to John Albert Kent and was sentenced to another term of imprisonment for robbery. I think you're correct that the police would have made standard enquiries to the Royal Navy.

PhiloNauticus

• Warrant Officer
  • Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2023 04:54:51 pm »

Did you use the British Newspaper Archive?
  - yes, that was the source
Pages: [1]   Go Up