200 acre site purchased by the Admiralty in March 1940.
As H.M.S. VULTURE II 10.08.1940
31.12.1953 when VULTURE paid off.
Emergency landing ground for aircraft using ranges.
Land Range with marking facilities open all year
round. R.P., D.B., A.G
Satellite to R.N.A.S. St. Merryn.
R.N. Emergency Landing Ground
The landing ground lies on the coast 2½ miles S. of
Tintagel Head, 1½ miles WNW. of the village of Delabole,
and adjacent NW. of the village of Treligga.
Launceston lies 15 miles E. and Bodmin 10 miles SSE.
R.N.A.S., St. Merryn, lies 11 miles SW.
The River Camel flowing into Padstow Bay, 7 miles WSW.
A small ravine runs from the N. side of the landing ground
to the coast between Start and Dennis points close
ROAD AND RAIL ACCESS
A secondary road running SSE. from the landing ground
connects with the main Bodmin-Launceston road.
Access to Delabole station, 2¾ miles (R), on the Southern
Region to Launceston.
No permanent facilities. There is a control hut on the
350' above M.S.L.
Grass surfaced with three usable strips.
Q.D.M. 045°-225° . . 700 X 100 yds.
Q.D.M. 105°-285° .. 730 x 100 yds
Q.D.M. 165°-345° .. 800 x 100 yds.
Land rises to 660' above landing ground within 2j miles
The land rises 200' within 500 yds. E.
The approaches from N., S. and seaward are clear.
Recommended sector, mean QDM .
HOMING - VISUAL
APPROACH - VISUAL
APPROACH - RADIO
M/F & H/F
A living hut on the E. side of the landing ground;
otherwise there are no permanent facilities.
Accommodation for 20 W.R.N.S. personnel at Port Isaac.
Chiefs, P.O.s and ratings:
W.R.N.S. Chiefs, P.O.s and ratings;
Phone R.N.A.S., St. Merryn, for meteorological
FUEL AND OIL
BOMBING AND FIRING RANGES
Ground targets are situated near the cliffs on the N.
side of the landing area. Range with marking facilities
open all year round.
Air to Ground
R. p. Firing
Information taken from B.R. 1807 Admiralty Handbook
of Naval Air Stations Dec. 48
List of first and second line squadrons, station
flight and other flying units based at this location
No squadron s operated from this station, landing
area intended for 'Wheels-up' emergency landing use