November 1942, the Navy Bureau of Aeronautics established a
modification centre at Roosevelt Field to install British
equipment into U.S. aircraft for supply to the British
Royal Navy under the Lend-Lease agreement passed by
Congress. Initially the US Navy leased five of the 6
steel/concrete hangars along Old Country Road; built a
barracks, mess hall, and sick bay; and the site commissioned
as the U.S. Naval Air Facility (NAF) Roosevelt Field by
RN Air Despatch Depot
An RN Air Despatch Depot was established at NAF Roosevelt Field which was responsible for aircraft repair and maintenance, equipment installation, the preparation and flight delivery of Lend-Lease aircraft. They also undertook any metal work required for the installation of British modifications. The facility also performed salvage work of crashed Royal Navy planes. By September 1943, additional wooden buildings had built between four of the hangars, and in October 1943 six additional hangars were leased.
Many of the Grumman Avengers, Vought Corsairs and Grumman Wildcats were issued directly to squadrons forming and working-up in the US at Brunswick, Lewiston, Quonset Point and Squantum. Many others, including Grumman Hellcats, Beech Expeditor, North American Harvards and Curtiss Seamews
were shipped to the UK.
after the war ended in August 1945 the Lend-Lease agreement
ended and the US Navy greatly reduced the size of its
facility at Roosevelt Field in preparation for closure. They
had vacated all but six hangars, and removed their temporary
buildings by the time their lease expired on June 30th,
1946. The withdrawal was completed by August 1946, when
Roosevelt Field operated as a commercial airport until it
closed in May 1951.
Click here for a list of
Admiralty Fleet Orders:
Confidential Admiralty Fleet Orders: