'ATTACKER' Class

 Description Shape:
Standard, circular.
Blazon (Heraldic description)
On a field barry wavy of ten blue and white: A torch, erect, black, enflamed proper, in front of two swords in saltire, silver pommels and hilts gold.

RAVAGER:
A plunderer or despoiler who employs a scorched earth policy.

For explanations of heraldic terms see the Badges & Honours page.

 

Motto:

None

 

Pennant Numbers:

 

D70

 


 

Battle Honours:

 

ATLANTIC 1943

 


 

Specifications

Builder: Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Co. Tacoma, Washington

Completed by: Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oregon

Displacement: 14,170 tons

length (Overall): 486ft

Beam:  69ft 6in

Flight deck: 442ft x 80ft wood covered mild steel plate

Propulsion: 2 Foster Wheeler boilers; 1 x Allis-Chalmers geared turbine driving 1 shaft

Speed:  18.5 knots

A/C Capacity: 20

Hangar: 262ft x 62ft x 18ft

A/C lifts: 2; aft 34ft long x 42ft wide; forward 42ft long x 34ft wide

Arrestor wires: 9 with 3 barriers

Catapult: 1 x H2 hydraulic

Armament: 2 single 4in USN Mk 9, 4 twin 40mm Bofors, 8 twin 20mm Oerlikon, 10 single 20mm Oerlikon

Crew Complement: 646


 

Commanding Officers:

Capt. A.A. Murray RN
Dec 42 - Apr 44


Capt. G.V.B. Faulkner RN
Apr 44 - Jul 45

 


 

Squadrons:

804

Oct 1943
Hellcat I

 

835

Sept-Oct 1943
Wildcat VI


 


 

Listen to this section

 

 

 Listen to this article

 


 

 

 

A History of HMS RAVAGER

 

HMS RAVAGER pictured in the aircraft ferry role, 11 November 944.

 

 

Laid down 11 April 1942, at Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Co. Tacoma, Washington, a C3-S-A1 type freighter, Maritime Commission  hull number 240, Seattle-Tacoma hull number 24; sponsored by Mrs. C. G. Mitchell. The hull was purchased by the US navy to be the USS RAVAGER ACV-24 (later changed to CVE-24 on July 15th 1943). She was launched on 16 July 1942. Her hull was towed to the Commercial Iron Works yard, Portland, Oregon, for completion and fitting out as an aircraft carrier. Whilst still under construction it had been decided that AVG-24 was to be transferred to the Admiralty on loan on her completion as an aircraft carrier. She was transferred to the Royal Navy on 25 April 1943 and commissioned in RN service, at Portland, as HMS RAVAGER (D70, Captain A. A. Murray RN in command.

 

After completing her builder's sea trials and her acceptance by the Admiralty RAVAGER sailed to Vancouver, Canada to be modified to meet Admiralty requirements, receive her full crew compliment, complete sea trials and work up ready for beginning her active service. This work was undertaken by the Burrard Dry Dock Co. Ltd., North Vancouver, British Columbia.

 

Leaving Vancouver in July 1943 RAVAGER sailed for the Panama Canal, embarking the men and aircraft of 846 squadron from US Naval Air Station Quonset Point for transit to UK.

 

HMS RAVAGER initially saw service in the Atlantic convoy escort duties, operating the wildcats of 835 and Hellcats of 804 squadrons between September and October 1943. but From the end of 1944 RAVAGER was mainly employed as a Deck Landing Training carrier, operating off the Scottish coast.

 

HMS RAVAGER operating in her primary role as a Deck Landing Training Carrier

 

 

CVE 24 arrived at Norfolk, Virginia on 9 February 1946 and was returned to USN custody on 27 February 1946; she was stricken for disposal 12 April 1946. She was sold to William B. St. John of New York City, 1 July 1947 and refitted for merchant service as the SS Robin Trent, later becoming Trent. She was scrapped in Taiwan in 1973.

 

A fuller account of this ships history will be added at some time in the future.

 


 

 

Content revised: 17 April 2017

 

Sources used in compiling this account:

Click here for a list of Primary sources

 

Additional sources:

Fold3.com various documents including;

Admiralty War Diaries

Norfolk Navy Yard War Diaries

Mew York Navy Yard War Diaries

Miscellaneous documents


Home page | go to the top

 

   
 

Comments

No comments yet.

Add Comment

 

  Click to refresh the page after posting your comment or to hide the form