The British Pacific and East Indies Fleets

The forgotten fleets that fought the Japanese in the Pacific and Indian Oceans



R.N. Barracks and Accounting Base

No badge issued for this vessel


Battle Honours







Headquarters: Hargreaves Park, Liverpool, Sydney, New South Wales. Australia.

Barracks: Warwick Farm Racecourse, Liverpool, Sydney, New South Wales. Australia.

Function: RN Barracks, RN Accounting Base, H.Q. Flag Officer Naval Air Australia, H.Q. Vice Admiral (Q) BPF (post war)


Commanding Officers

Commodore H. B. Crane (Commodore 2nd Class. In Command and Commodore R.N.B., Sydney.) Dec 1944





Related items













Click on image to open gallery






Read aloud  

General view of the main buildings at Royal Naval Barracks, Warwick Farm Racecourse, Liverpool, Sydney, H.M.S. GOLDEN HIND; on the right is the grandstand, used as a canteen, the guard room and main gate lower left. The Commodore’s office is the uppermost building on the left.  Photo: © IWM (A 29253)


In November 1944 the Australian government began transferring military bases and facilities to the Admiralty in preparation for the arrival in Australian waters of the newly formed British Pacific Fleet. On November 20th 1944 HMS GOLDEN HIND commissioned as an RN Accounting Base and headquarters at the former American army camp at Hargrave Park, Liverpool, Sydney, New South Wales. The Headquarters camp comprised of wooden huts, with additional accommodation being completed in the early part of 1945. A Barracks & Drafting Pool was established on the opposite side of the railway line, at the nearby Warwick Farm racecourse; this was a huge tented camp which occupied the centre of the racecourse. Here the naval personnel arriving from the UK were accommodated while awaiting passage to join the BPF at Manus or elsewhere.

HMS GOLDEN HIND was also the headquarters of the Flag Officer Naval Air Stations (Australia) (F.O.N.A.S. Australia), Rear-Admiral R. H. Portal, DSC, who had responsibility for all Fillet Arm related matters including the drafting of large numbers f Fleet Air Arm personnel that were to pass through the Barracks on route to Air Stations in Australia and for the fleet carriers and support vessels.

Responsible for other RN units in Australia

With the exception of HMS BEACONSFIELD in Melbourne, all Royal Navy faculties in Australia were initially under the control of HMS GOLDEN HIND; some establishment were later commissioned with their own ship names, but their accounting was still done by GOLDEN HIND. In Brisbane this included an Auxiliary Hospital, an R.N. Depot and the vessels of the Brisbane Escort Force; the R.N. Depot Brisbane commissioned as HMS FURNEAUX on April 1st. In Sydney accounts were carried for an R.N. Auxiliary Hospital and R.N. Depot, Woolloomooloo. Personnel of the British Pacific Fleet Intermediate Base, at Manus, were also carried on the books of Golden Hind from February 1945 until it commissioned as HMS PEPYS on October 1st 1945.

A Royal Marine Training Base was opened in April 1945 when the former Royal Australian Navy base at Nelson Bay, New South Wales, (ex HMAS ASSAULT) was given to the Royal Navy and administered by GOLDEN HIND. In May 1945 an RN Repair Base was opened at Garden Island, this was originally to be GOLDEN HIND II but the base was commissioned as HMS WOOLLOOMOOLOO on July 1st 1945. The name GOLDEN HIND II however appears to have been used post-war when the accounts of personnel in Hong Kong from December 1945, and Tokyo from January 1st 1946, appear as GOLDEN HIND II. In addition to being responsible for administering the Harbour Service Craft and Rescue Tugs in the Sydney area, GOLDEN HIND also resumed responsibility for the R.N. Depots at Woolloomooloo and Brisbane (once paid off).

he tented city that covered most of the race course at Warwick Farm, Royal Naval Barracks, Sydney. Non-commissioned ranks were housed in bell tents, Officers in ridge tents. Photo: Alan Starling

Post War

After the Japanese surrender the Warwick Farm racecourse barracks became transit camp for personnel from the fleet awaiting passage home. Vice Admiral J. W. Rivett-Carnac, CBE, DSC, Vice Admiral (Admin) British Pacific Fleet relocated to GOLDEN HIND on December 1st 45 when the BPF headquarters at Port Melbourne, HMS BEACONSFIELD, was Paid Off. On March 19th 1946 the Drafting Pool relocated to Colombo, when the camp at Warwick Farm Racecourse closed. The Hargrave Park H.Q. site was also closed at the end of March, and relocated to offices at Carrier Buildings, Bourke St Woolloomooloo; the site was transferred to the Housing Commission for conversion into an emergency housing centre for about 1,000 families.

From March 31st 1946 to June 6th 1946 the accounts of personnel in establishments in Sydney, WRNS Quarters Sydney and seagoing tenders became GOLDEN HIND III; on June 7th 1946 it reverted to GOLDEN HIND. HMS GOLDEN HIND made one final move on April 22nd 1946 to the 10th Floor, Grace Building, York St, Sydney, where it remained until January 31st 1947 when it was Paid Off.


Last modified: 23 February 2023


Primary information sources

Additional sources:

Jones, D. & Nunan, P. (2005) 'U.S. subs down under: Brisbane, 1942-1945' Naval Institute Press, Annapolis

Special thanks to Mr.. Michael Steemson, son of Commander John F. Steemson R.N., for his help in researching this history.





Add Comment

* Required information
Is it true or false that green is a number?
Captcha Image
Powered by Commentics

Comments (12)

Sort By
5/5 (1)
1 2 3 > Last
Chris McBrien
Apr 2023
Chris McBrien (Aberdeen, UK) says...

I have a letter that was written to my father,

R. McBrien (Elect Artificer), number C/MX 18712.

H.M.S Golden Hind (Staff),

c/o GPO,


The letter was franked on 17-Sept-1945 in Brighton, Sussex.

I do know that father was part of the crew onboard the RMS Aquitania that would have departed the UK during October 1945 and arriving at Sydney on the date of the attached photograph.

My question is, does that HMS Golden Hind refer to the camp in Australia or was there a camp by the same name in London, UK?

As father was an Electrical Engineer in Civvy Street before WWII, he was involved with the operation of the Anti Mine Belt that was fitted to the RMS Aquitania prior to her voyage to Australia.

Regards Chris McBrien.

Aug 2022
Vince (UK) says...

My grandad was at golden hind . A second lieutenant in the Royal Marines .

Upload Upload
Terry Snell
Dec 2021
Terry Snell (Grimsby, Lincolnshire, UK) says...

My father was there between 13 Sep and 25th Nov 45. Family legend has it that he was there after being torpedoed and spent several weeks in an open boat, I haven't been able to get to the bottom of that one but I do know he was befriended by a family called Salisbury.

Antoinette Corbyn
Jun 2019
Antoinette Corbyn (Wareham Dorset) says...
My father Eric MORRIS, leading Steward P/LX 22687 (HMS GOLDEN HIND 2)from Manchester was killed in an air crash 19/7/1945 together with Leonard E R GOVETT acting commander RNVR and Colm NOLAN Ty Surgeon Lieutenant RNVR. If anyone one has further information or knew him? Pictures? I never met him as only born 4 months old. Any help appreciated
John Baker
Jun 2019
John Baker (London) says...
My Father Charles Benjamin Baker Royal Navy was on the HMS Pembroke and was at this camp 16th May 1945 till 21st June 1945 would love to see some photos
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 > Last


Search RN Research Archive materials on-line


HM Ships COLOSSUS, GLORY, VENERABLE and VENGEANCE. GLORY did not arrive in Sydney until August 16th.


At the end of June 1945, the Admiralty implemented a new system of classification for carrier air wings, adopting the American practice one carrier would embark a single Carrier Air Group (CAG) which would encompass all the ships squadrons.


Sturtivant, R & Balance, T. (1994) 'Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm’ list 899 squadron as conducting DLT on the Escort Carrier ARBITER on August 15th. It is possible that the usual three-day evolution was cancelled due to the announcement of the Japanese surrender on this date and was postponed for a month.


Extract from the reminiscences of Stoker first class James Fee

Jimmy was drafted to HMS GOLDEN HIND II the Fleet Repair Base at Garden Island, Sydney, Australia. He travelled out on the troopship NEIUW AMSTERDAM sailing from Greenock, Scotland on April 22nd, he returned home on MAS PATROLLER arriving back in the UK on April 19th 1946.

Off to Australia

One Sunday morning at six o clock we were put on a train in Chatham dockyard. thirty hours later we were in Greenock, Scotland. We were taken by ferry to a ship called NEIUW AMSTERDAM, a Dutch liner, we were locked in a room about two hundred of us. The next day having had nothing to eat we complained to an American marine captain who thought we were prisoners, he arranged for us to have a feed in a mess hall down below. He asked me to find some men like myself to volunteer as gun crew and we would have the run of the ship and a cabin for nine of us with a shower. That is how I became a gunner on Oerlikon number one on the port side up forward wearing a big badge with’ gun crew’ written on it which entitled us to go anywhere on the ship. One night on watch at two o clock in the morning I heard the war was over in Dutch by our Dutch captain. then an English voice told us the war was over in Europe, we were in the middle of the Indian ocean at the time. So, we the gun crew spliced the main brace on the king’s orders with white rum. I lit a cigarette and was told to put it out as we were still at war with Japan.

Our orders were to fire first unless told otherwise; one day a sub surfaced, the American gunners opened fire and put a shell thru its bows. we were told cease fire and a white flag was raised we thought we had captured a jap sub but it turned out to be American. They asked us to tow them but we did not stop as we were loaded with troops. Next day we arrived at Freemantle and were marched ashore to a big field where we were given cakes and tea. An officer gathered us all together and said the ausies were disappointed at the way we had strolled through the town and asked us to put on a show of real good marching back to the ship. we did as he asked us and the people of Freemantle cheered us all the way back to the ship shouting, we are proud of you. As we left port the next day the American sub came limping in and the American gunners on our ship jeered at them for being so stupid for not signalling us that they were going to surface

Life in Sydney

We arrived in Sydney and a Chief Petty Officer lined about a hundred of us up and asked if there were any lorry drivers among us, nobody moved. He said I am going to read some names out. he read three names and mine was one of them. I said “I am not a lorry driver.” He said “you drove an ambulance in the civil defence”. How he knew that I will never know. I also entertained the troops while working in the shipyard, I said “why don’t you put me down for ENSA”. He pointed across the water to three lorries parked on the dock, then gave us a map of Sydney and told us to go to Warwick Farm Racecourse which was HMS GOLDEN HIND and bring all hammocks and kitbags with red bands on them back to Woolloomooloo, and do not look for your own first which is exactly what I did.

We lived and slept in the dock sheds at Woolloomooloo for six months. then we were moved to the Domain and army huts, it was called HMS ALERT, the commander was T.E. Robertson the brother of Anna Neagle who later became Dame Anna Neagle the stage and film star. He was a real gentleman and thought the world of Geordies. I became his driver as well as driving the lorry. I once had to fetch him back from a cocktail party, he offered me a cocktail and I had one too many. When we got to the car I said “I am too drunk to drive” and handed him the keys and he drove us back. I had my twenty first birthday on august the ninth 1945 the day that the second atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, the skipper gave me five pounds and my Australian friends give me the first birthday party I had ever had. They were Mr and Mrs Flemming of 16 Jellicoe Ave, Randwick, Sydney and gave me the champagne they were keeping for their daughter Beryl when she was twenty-one.

The day of Japan’s surrender I went into Sydney and all the people were dancing round me. I met up with an aussie airman and two girls who lived in north Sydney so we walked over the harbour bridge to the girls home where we had tea, I did not have a drink of anything stronger that day.

Coming home

I sailed home in 1946 on an aircraft carrier the HMS PATROLLER. I was made the ships welder. I was over the side in the Indian ocean in a bosun’s chair and a bowline round me when the chap who was holding the rope said I see it is still there, I looked down and I was resting my feet on a hammer head shark about thirty foot long .It was more like a whale. I had been over the side for three days and he never told me! He said “I thought you knew. I was telling all my mates what a brave bloke you were.” The skipper sent for three rifles and said “on the count of three fire” and it just slowly swam away.

when we arrived in England at seven o clock on Good Friday morning it was cold and foggy.

Jimmy Fee

Original source: - now defunked. Material later submitted to BBC people’s war project.