'SMITER' Class

 Description Shape:
Standard, circular.
Blazon (Heraldic description)
On a field, barry wavy, of ten white and blue; a cutlass and a fighting axe in saltire, gold.
TROUNCER: A member of a 17th century naval boarding parity, known as ‘TROUNCERS’. This design depicts their weapons.

For explanations of heraldic terms see the Badges & Honours page.





Pennant Numbers:





Battle Honours:






Builder: Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Co. Tacoma, Washington

Completed by: Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oregon

Displacement: 15,390 tons

Length (Overall): 494ft 9in

Beam:  69ft 6in

Flight deck: 450ft x 80ft wood covered mild steel plate

Propulsion: 2 Foster Wheeler boilers; 1 x Allis-Chalmers geared turbine driving 1 shaft

Speed:  16 knots

A/C Capacity: 20

Hangar: 260ft x 62ft x 18ft

A/C lifts: 2, Aft 34ft long x 42ft wide; forward 42ft long x 34ft wide

Arrestor wires: 9 with 3 barriers

Catapult: 1 H4C hydraulic

Armament: 2 single 5in USN Mk 12, 8 twin 40mm Bofors, 14 twin 20rnm Oerlikon, 7 single 20mm Oerlikon

Crew Complement: 646


Commanding Officers:


Cdr. R.B. Cooper RN
Dec 43 - Mar 44


Capt. B.J. Fisher RN
Mar 44 - Apr 45


Capt. G.A. Rotherham RN
Apr 45 - Mar 46





768 (DLT)

Jam - Mar 45

Mixed a/c types



Sep 45

Hellcat II



Listen to this section



 Listen to this article







HMS TROUNCER alongside a pier at Portland, Oregon on February 9th 1944, soon after completion.  Photograph from the Bureau of Ships Collection in the U.S. National Archives (#19-N-61366).

Laid down 1 February 1943, at Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Co. Tacoma, Washington, a C3-S-A1 type freighter, Maritime Commission hull number 258; Seattle-Tacoma hull number 42. The hull was purchased by the US navy to be the USS PERDIDO ACV-47 (later changed to CVE-47 on July 15th 1943). She was launched on June 16h1943 by her sponsor Mrs. H.M. Bemis. Her hull was towed to the Commercial Iron Works yard, Portland, Oregon, for completion and fitting out as an aircraft carrier. Whilst still under construction it had been decided that ACV-47 was to be transferred to the Admiralty on loan on her completion; she was assigned to the United Kingdom under lend lease 23 June 1943. She was transferred to the Royal Navy on 31 January 1944 and commissioned in RN service, at Portland, as HMS TROUNCER (D85), Commander R. B. Cooper RN in command.

After completing her builder's sea trials and her acceptance by the Admiralty TROUNCER sailed to Vancouver, Canada to be modified to meet Admiralty requirements, receive her full crew compliment, complete sea trials and work up ready for beginning her active service. This work was undertaken by the Burrard Dry Dock Co. Ltd., North Vancouver, British Columbia, HMS TROUNCER arrived there on February 21st 1944.

CVE-47 returned to Norfolk, Virginia, 21 February 1946, and was returned to U. S. Navy custody 3 March 1946. Authorized r for disposal 25 March 1946, and struck from the RS Naval Register 12 April 1946. She was sold to William B. St. John and delivered to her purchaser 6 March 1947. Reconstructed as a merchant ship and renamed Greystoke Castle for the Lancashire Shipping Co. Ltd. (Molers Ltd. managers). Renamed Gallic in 1954, further renamed Berinnes in 1959. She was scrapped in Taiwan starting November 1973.


A fuller account of this ships history will be added at some time in the future.



Content revised: 01 December 2018


Sources used in compiling this account:

Click here for a list of Primary sources


Additional sources:

Fold3.com various documents including;

Admiralty War Diaries

US Naval Station, Seattle, Washington

US Naval Station,  Manchester, Washington

Puget Sound  Navy Yard War Diaries

US Thirteenth Naval District War Diaries

Norfolk Navy Yard War Diaries

Mew York Navy Yard War Diaries

Miscellaneous documents


Home page | go to the top



Copyright © 2005 -2018-2020The Royal Navy Research Archive



No comments yet.

Add Comment


  Click to refresh the page after posting your comment or to hide the form