No badge issued

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

MONAB X began assembling at RNAS Middle Wallop on July 23rd 1945 but after the Japanese surrender on August 15th the projected task for for the unit no longer existed. The unit's future was uncertain but the Admiralty decided to proceed with its commissioning as an active unit.

 

The unit was allocated the following maintenance components:

 

  • M.M. 9 Corsair II & IV - Seafire L.III & XV
  • M.S. 17 a/c type n/k
  • M.S. 18 a/c type n/k

 

MONAB X Commissioned as an independent command bearing the ship's name HMS NABHURST on September 1st 1945, Commander T. S. Jackson in command.

 

A role for MONAB X was found, but not as a commissioned autonomous unit; HMS NABHURST paid off as an independent command at RNAS Middle Wallop on October12th 1945, its accounts reverting to being carried on the books of HMS Flycatcher.

 

 

 

The MONAB was to be retained in its original form for use by the MNAO as a trials & development unit. All equipment together with the recently formed Mobile Repair 4 component were retained on a Care & Maintenance basis for future use. A single Mobile Air Torpedo Maintenance Unit, MATMU No. 1 was also to be retained.

 

HMS Flycatcher, paid off at RNAS Middle Wallop on April 10th 1946 and MONAB X was then accommodated at three separate sites, RNAS Fearn, RNAS. Inskip and RNAE Risley whilst awaiting a move to its new hone at RNAS Lossiemouth. Royal Air Force Station Lossiemouth was due to commission as an RN Air Station in early July 1946. The MNAO and MONAB X were installed at Lossiemouth during May and June while the station was still under RAF control.

 

RNAS Lossiemouth commissioned as HMS FULMAR on July 12th 1946, The equipment of MONAB X and MATMU No. 1 had all completed the move during this month. MR 4 was installed, on a semi-permanent basis, at RNAS Milltown the satellite airfield to Lossiemouth. All mobile radio equipment was retained at RNAE Risley for storage and maintenance.  MONAB X's stock of Beste Burkle tents was reduced from 100 to 25soon after its arrival, 75 being shipped out to RNAS Ta kali in Malta to form part of a reserve MONAB being assembled there.

 

Over the next four years the components and structure of the MONAB were modified and redesigned, and new mobile equipment was tested for its suitability for field use. By 1950 the unit was held in storage at RNAS Lossiemouth pending a decision about its future usage.

 

MONAB X's future was reviewed at a meeting held on September 13th 1950; this resulted in the proposed reconstruction and reactivation of the unit and its installation at a reserve airfield. Proposed sites for housing MONAB 10 (as it was now designated) included; Henstridge, Worthy Down, Burscough, Crail, Evanton, and Fearn, all RN Air Stations.

 

In March 1951, CDR (P) L.J.S. EDE DSO, DSC (former Commanding Officer of the MNAO) was appointed as Commanding Officer of MONAB 10 for the duration of the units forming up period.  Confidential Admiralty Fleet Order (CAFO) 139/51 called MONAB 10 out of retirement, effective from September 7th 1951; the unit was to be installed at RNAS Henstridge, Dorset.

 

The first components of MONAB 10 arrived at RNAS Yeovilton in the late spring of 1952, and was installed at RNAS Henstridge by the autumn of that year. The exact nature of MONAB 10's activities at Henstridge are not clear, but most likely it was a form of 'preservation by operation'.

 

It should also be remembered that MONAB 10 was the only unit of its kind in existence, the War Reserve MONAB units overseas had been disbanded by this time. It may have been intended to evaluate the new MONAB for use in other conflicts.

 

The MONAB that was installed at Henstridge differed slightly from those which operated during WW2, whilst many components still utilized the original specialist vehicles as designed in 1944, other components were reconstructed or replaced completely by new ones.

 

Basic technical composition of MONAB 10 was now;
[Original components] Maintenance Air Gunnery, Maintenance Air Radio, Mobile Maintenance (1 unit), Maintenance Servicing (2 units), and Mobile Repair 4. [Reconstructed elements] basic Reserve Aircraft Storage, basic Air Workshops, and Motor Transport Workshops.

Additional components to be added as necessary included;
Depreservation Unit to augment Reserve Aircraft Storage,
Aircraft Erection Unit (plus two sub erection units), and two supplementary Aircraft Repair Units to augment Mobile Repair.

 

Mobile Repair 4 did not accompany MONAB 10 to Henstridge but remained at RNAS Milltown.

 

 

 

 

A

C

S

F

R

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MG

MS

MS

MM

MAR

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

RESERVE A/C COMPONENT

 

 

 

WORKSHOP

COMPONENT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BASIC UNIT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BASIC UNIT

 

 

 

 

DEPRESERVATION UNIT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

M/T MAINTENANCE

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MR4

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ERECTION UNIT

 

 

 

REPAIR UNIT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SUB - ERECTION UNIT

 

 

REPAIR UNIT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SUB - ERECTION UNIT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Non Technical components from 1944 MONAB organisation

 

 

Specialist vehicles and equipment from 1944 MONAB organisation

 

 

Reconstructed components essential to new MONAB

 

 

Reconstructed components of new MONAB to be  added as necessary

 

The organisation of MONAB 10: Compare this with the organisation of HMS NABHURST below

 

 

 

A

C

S

F

R

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MG

MS

MS

MM

MAR

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MSR UNIT

 

MR UNIT

 

MATMU

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Non Technical components common to all mobile units

 

 

Specialist vehicles and equipment of standard MONAB

 

 

Specialist components available to be added to any  MONAB

 

 

It is believed that no flying operations were conducted by the unit, at the time of its arrival all operational flying units has moved to RNAS Yeovilton. RNAS Henstridge was reduced to Care & Maintenance status at three month's notice to re-open for use by MONAB 10 on January 23rd 1953. Areas of the airfield being allowed to return to agricultural use, buildings and hangars were retained for MONAB use.

 

CDR (P) E.G. SAVAGE D.S.O., D.S.C. assumed Command of MONAB 10 at RNAS Henstridge on July 8th 1953 and in turn he was relieved by CDR (P) M.J.A. O'Sullivan on May 11th 1954.

 

Equipment still installed at RNAS Henstridge was maintained on a daily basis, the majority of the MONAB equipment and vehicles were stored in hangers at RNAS Yeovilton for much of the time, being rolled out for maintenance and then returned to storage.

 

MONAB 10 was disbanded on July 2nd 1955; the unit disappears from records such as the Navy List after 1955. The equipment was still at Henstridge and Yeovilton until at least the end of 1955, maintained by a small retard party of 12 men who were bussed out from Yeovilton daily. The ultimate disposal of MONAB 10 is not known.

 

 

Back to top

 

  © 1999 - 2011 www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk

 

 

 

Function : WW2
The support of disembarked Squadrons, the provision of a Fleet Requirements Unit.

 

Function :  Post War

Trials & Development MONAB

 

MONAB Components :
Mobile Maintenance 9, Maintenance Servicing 17 & 18, Maintenance, Storage & Resave 10

 

Commissioned :
01 September 1945

 

Paid Off :
12 October 1945

Accounts reverted to 'On Books of Flycatcher'

 

 

 

    WW2

  • Commander T. S. Jackson  01 September 1945 to 12 October 1945

    Reactivated MONAB 10
  • Commander (P) L.J.S. EDE DSO, DSC
  • Commander (P) E.G. SAVAGE D.S.O., D.S.C.
  • Commander (P) M.J.A. O’Sullivan

 

THERE ARE NO PHOTOGRAPHS OF THIS UNIT PRESENTLY AVAILABLE
Can you help?